Are you interested in programming? Do you like seeing big sets of data and immediately recognizing what are the intelligence engineering needs of the business? If you like creating software that helps businesses in collecting, analyzing, and processing data, then the role of a business intelligence engineer might be perfect for you.
If you are interested in becoming one, then you should give this article a read. It will help you make up your mind as to whether you can become such an engineer or not. Check what qualifications you require and start working towards your goals!.
Who Is A Business Intelligence Engineer?
As the name suggests, a business intelligence engineer is responsible for creating new data collection technologies for the business. They are typically involved in creating new software that allows the business to collect data on different aspects.
The data that the business needs here can be from one or even more processes. Most of their developed software is in the form of sheets that represent data in a tabular and cohesive form. All their work is done closely with help from the marketing and IT departments of the firm.
How Much Does A Business Intelligence Officer Earn?
If you want to become a business intelligence officer in the future, then you need to know its financials also. You might be thinking – how much is the business intelligence officer salary in the US?
If you have a question like this, then I have good news for you. A business intelligence manager actually does earn a lot of money. Here are the figures from a recent survey by LinkedIn:
- New BI Engineer: $115,000 per annum.
- Experienced BI Engineer: $125,000 per annum
- Senior BI Developer: $145,000 per annum
What Is The Role Of A Business Intelligence Engineer?
The functions of a business intelligence manager are:
- Use various business intelligence software to research, design, and create data sets storage solutions.
- You have to create various dashboards and KPIs in order to show the management how well the business is performing.
- To make reporting and analysis of data easier, you need to design various data models and maintain their integrity.
- Analyze market and technological trends to identify new business technological requirements and opportunities.
- Visualize data to present them to team members and management for their understanding.
- Create timelines for business processes and schedule them appropriately for other employees.
- Validate new and existing software and tools and monitor them to ensure their efficacy in analyzing and presenting data accurately.
- Oversee the modification of all existing dashboards and databases to keep them up to date with newer data.
- Program and design software that meets the business requirements of analyzing large sets of data.
- Create software and tools that automate the task of creating daily reports.
- Analyze current operations and identify various areas of development.
- Analyze and research various forms of data to make strategic developmental and marketing decisions.
- Streamline operations by injecting the use of new software and processes.
Recommended Business Intelligence Engineer Qualifications:
The most basic and recommended qualifications that organizations (like Amazon) are looking for in a business intelligence engineer are:
1. Basic Qualifications
Some of the basic qualifications of a business intelligence engineer at Amazon are:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in fields related to Statistical Analysis, Business Analytics, or Computer Engineering.
- Previous experience as an intern Business intelligence developer or any related field (like Business Analyst, Data Scientist, Data Engineer, Software Engineer, etc).
- A passion for working with various forms of structured data sets.
- Have an in-depth understanding of relational database concepts like SQL.
- The ability to quickly analyze, manipulate, process, and extract values from large sets of data.
- Meet the requirements of the projects of the firm in hand.
2. Recommended Qualifications
Amazon recommends having these qualifications for the post of a senior business intelligence engineer:
- Previous experience in collecting any data required by communicating requirements to other users and software development teams.
- Ability to spearhead new software development processes, including its features as a product and all technical designs.
- Have experience in working with concepts of Big Data management, machine learning, and data mining.
- Meets the requirements of being a leader by understanding their leadership principles.
- Exceeds the requirements of Amazon in terms of data collection needs and software developmental needs.
3. Software Qualifications
While these qualifications are not specifically stated, a business intelligence engineer needs to be fluent in coding. Therefore, you will need in-depth knowledge of the use of various software like:
- SQL and SQL Servers
- R Language
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs):
Some questions frequently asked by business intelligence engineer aspirants are:
Coding is not the minimum skill requirement for becoming a business intelligence engineer. However, learning how to code programs is definitely an extra skill that will set you apart from the crowd. Therefore, it can make your placement easier.
If you ever see a business intelligence engineer job description on LinkedIn, you will notice some obvious keywords. These descriptions will show that you will be responsible for overseeing data retrieval and helping in internal organizational analysis.
If you wish to become a successful senior business intelligence engineer, then you need to study quite a few things. This includes studying data visualization techniques in the form of using MS Excel and Google Spreadsheets. In addition, you might also require coding knowledge in using several BI tools and languages like Python, Spark, and SQL.
Some of the skills of a business intelligence developer are:
1. Computer coding and programming skills
2. Database management skills
3. Interpersonal skills
4. Good communication skills
5. Time management skills
Becoming a business intelligence engineer is not an easy task. You need to have various qualifications like coding experience, business management skills, and even learn techniques to analyze business data. Your role will be to understand business logistical requirements and develop new ways to store and analyze data. If you can do this, you will be making upwards of $1000+.Business Intelligence Engineer – Job Description, Salary & Career.